The M word”

Not Mike, but maintenance.

I had a friend who bought a Rando Road ANT many years ago and he put many, many miles on it and had replaced a few components along the way. The bike needed some updates and he wanted a new curved fork to replace the unicrown that was original to the bike. What entailed was a long string of discoveries that led to a complete restoration.

I had the bike sent to a local shop to be disassembled. The shop found that the stem was stuck. We had to cut the stem off, which killed the old fork [which we planned to replace anyway], but the stem was now gone.

The new fork would take a longer reach brake, so I needed to cut out and replace the brake bridge [which we planned along with the re-spray] and I was to build a new front rack to hold a custom bag. I got all that done, then found many parts that needed to be replaced.

I was trying to keep the cost down and only planned to replace the things that truly needed to be taken care of….and that is when it became more complicated. We kept finding more and more components that were just toast and had to be replaced.

We started with a new cables, housing and tape, but soon found that chain and tires needed help. Then discovered that the chainrings were done, then found that the bottom bracket bearings were worn out.

When we were putting the bars on we discovered that they were badly bent from a crash or two. After replacing the bars, I thought were going to be finished, but found that the one of the crank arms were bent too. Once it was mechanically safe I talked my friend into some new fenders, because the old ones were mismatched and all bent up.

After it was all finally done the price came out to about $900.00 [and that is with some heavy discounts], but the bike looked great [sorry I forgot to take a picture] and the riding will be much safer.

I also went through a huge shop maintenance that was very costly. My sandblaster needed to be taken apart and cleaned, new blast media, new powder booth filters and cleaning. It took a good part of the day and about $600.00 for replacement parts.  I procrastinated about this for months, knowing the time and money it would take to do, not to mention that it is a dirty back breaking job.

I finally got my funds together and made the time to do it. Now my blaster works so much better, which will in turn make my life easier and give my big air compressor a break. Like all dirty maintenance jobs, you feel great when it is done🙂

I highly suggest that all bike riders keep your machine in good shape and ride safe.

  • Keep your bike clean  [especially if you use an indoor trainer]
  • Spend money on having new tires
  • Replace your brake pads when needed
  • Make sure your cables are not frayed
  • Grease your stem and seat post every 6 months
  • Make sure parts are tight

Here is a great video at Brompton Bicycles.

About antbikemike

Bicycle frame builder
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to The M word”

  1. Ray says:

    This sounds like what happens to my commuter.
    One repair inevitably leads to discovery of more to replace.
    And the job takes a long time as parts need to be sourced.
    And the stuck stem (thankfully minor) from frequent rain rides happened a couple of times.
    So, I’d better check that stem! And the seat post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s